Saturday, August 16, 2008

Restaurant Review- The Caucus Room's Restaurant Week Menu


I have a love-hate relationship with DC's Restaurant Week. I really like the idea of it, getting to try upscale restaurants for a lower price and I have had a few really good meals during restaurant week. However, I feel like a lot of restaurants give you the sub-par or very limited menu choices. Last night I ate at The Caucus Room on 9th and D with several friends. I had very high expectations for this steak-house and while the food was good, I won't be going back for restaurant week. When we arrived at the restaurant at our reserved time we were kept waiting 15-20 minutes for our table, and then the 5 of us were walked over to a square 4 person table. When we finally sat down at a larger table the waiter was nice but very chatty. We explained that we were there for Restaurant Week but he proceeded to go on and on about all of their different steaks and what could be substituted for higher prices. It was overwhelming and the 5 of us all wound up getting the serloin steak from the regular menu. Two of us ordered ours "medium rare" but I had to send mine back since it was rare-er than medium rare. They only had two options for starters a simple salad or a smoked yellow tomato gazpacho (delish...definitely copying them and putting loads of cilantro in my next at home gazpacho experiment). The entres were the serloin, salmon or chicken, and the desserts were pinapple upside-down cake or sorbet. I was a little dissapointed that there was not more to choose from in terms of starters and desserts (a dessert menu with no chocolate....?) but what they did have was good. The Caucus Room also had wines features for 7/glass or 30/bottle and we chose the red which was a sweet Spanish wine. While I enjoyed trying a new restaurant and defintely paid less than I would for a 3 course meal there normally, I think the overall experience was lacking.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. In theory, 'Restaurant Week' is a superb idea, but any active ResWeek veteran can vouch that the featured menus can be quite limited. Many of the participating restaurants feature their menus online, which is definitely worth taking a look at before sitting down and having to choose between halibut and salmon at a steak house.

    ReplyDelete