Thursday, July 31, 2008

Restaurant Review- Oya

A few days ago my book club met to discuss Christopher Moore's Fluke, at Oya on 9th and G. If you like sci-fi-esque magical fiction with interesting characters and plot twists, I recommend reading Fluke. If you like great food, long wine lists, "hip" decor and a $28 prix fix summertime menu, I recommend trying Oya. The wine list is quite long with good descriptions (for those of us who don't know squat about wine) and a range of prices for wines by the glass (for those of us who can't tell the difference between a $7 glass and a $15 glass). I think the bar was very backed up because it took FOREVER to get the wine, but I was very pleased once it came out! Please don't confuse Oya with Oyamel a few blocks over on 7th, although if you do, the hostess at Oyamel will hopefully be as nice to you as she was to me, and point you in the right direction. Oya touts itself as "Asian french fusion" although it doesn't seem to be crazy combo dishes like some of the other fusion restaurants. I had the goat cheese salad to start with was delish, it was one of those goat cheese puffs, topped with some cooked apples next to a side salad (apparently "Asian" greens, but it looked like pretty standard mesclun mix) with walnut vinegar. For the main course, I tried the Sea Bass with miso flavor which came with a risotto-stuffed red pepper. I went for the "chocolate, chocolate, chocolate" dessert which lived up to its name and was very chocolately and delicious. I also tried a bite of the banana bread pudding, wonderful as well. I will definitely be returning!

No comments:

Post a Comment